Foley Bros. Dry Goods Company

William L. Foley Dry Goods Store

William L. Foley Dry Goods Store

Foley Bros.’ history dates from Lincoln’s birthday, Feb. 12, 1900. On that date, Pat. C. Foley and James A. Foley, the two young Irish Americans who had formerly been employed in the Houston store of their uncle, William L. Foley, went into business for themselves under the name of Foley Bros. Dry Goods Co. Their capital was $2,000 dollars, borrowed from their uncle, a native of Ireland, who migrated to Houston where he opened a retail store.

A one-story building, 20′ x 70′, 1400-square-foot store located at 507 Main Street, was chosen as the site of the store, and stocked with piece goods, calico, linens, pins, needles, notions, lace, embroidery and men’s furnishings. The first day’s sales were recorded at $113.12. Many prominent old Houston names were among the first customers.

Learn more about this historic┬ádepartment store and other stories about Houston history by joining HoustonHistory.com’s online community!




About mrhoustonian

A native Houstonian with a passion for preserving online Houston's great past.
This entry was posted in Legends. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply